I’m currently in the midst of moving house which, as anyone who has recently done this will know, is hugely stressful. When I’m feeling anxious or overwhelmed one of the only things which calms me down is baking, so whilst surrounded by boxes and piles of clothes on a Sunday afternoon, I decided the best option would be to take a half an hour break and raid the larder for some baking inspiration.
Last week I made Deliciously Ella’s Peanutbutter and Honey Flapjacks and seeing how easy and delicious they were to make I decided to try a variation on the recipe and came up with these gooey Tahini Caramel Flapjacks! The addition of the tahini is what gives these a delicious, caramel taste, as when mixed with honey and heated it turns into a gooey, fudgey consistency. If you’ve never tried tahini as part of a sweet recipe, trust me on this one. It’s also delicious drizzled over apples as a quick snack, but I digress…
2x overripe bananas
2 tbsp Tahini
1 handful dried dates, chopped
200g rolled oats
Coconut sugar for sprinkling
- Set your oven to 180 degrees and line a baking dish with greaseproof paper
- Peel and mash your bananas and mix in your tahini and honey with a fork
- Weigh out 200g of oats and combine with your wet mixture until all of the oats are coated in the ‘caramel’ sauce
- Roughly chop a handful of dried dates (no need for medjool dates here) and mix into your bowl until thoroughly incorporated
- Pour into your lined baking dish, sprinkle with a generous helping of coconut sugar and leave to bake for approx 30 mins until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a further 30mins before slicing into generous chunks and serving with a cuppa!